Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Literary Help

Recently I sent an email to my friends for literary help. I am having trouble finding any decent books (no swearing/sex). Here is the list of responses I've received:

Eat to Live -- Joel Fuhrman
The China Study -- T. Colin Campbell
Discipline Without Shouting or Spanking
How to Behave so Your Preschooler Will, too
The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
Eating for Your Blood Type
Parenting Breakthrough
Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse (these were mentioned by about 10 people, must be really good) -- Stephenie Meyer
The Peacegiver
Artemis Fowl series
Montessori From the Start
Common Sense Economics
Basic Economics: A Common Sense Guide to the Economy
Walk Two Moons
The Hiding Place
The Goose Girl --Shannon Hale
Enna Burning
Princess Academy
Lily's Crossing
Cold Sassy Tree
These is My Words -- Nanci Turner (recommended by two friends)
Out of the Dust
Up a Road Slowly
Mitten Strings for God
Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell -- Susanna Clarke *
The Lovely Bones -- Alice Sebold *
Finding Darwin's God -- Kenneth Miller *
Coming to Peace with Science -- Darrel Falk *
Perspectives on an Evolving Creation -- Keith Miller *
Driven from Within -- Michael Jordan *
Suite Francaise -- Irene Nemirovsky (I've read this and love -- LOVE it) *
Night -- Elie Wiesel *
Bear Grylls' 3 books -- Bear Grylls *
The Language of God -- Francis Collins *
A Girl Named Zippy -- Haven Kimmel
Angle of Repose -- Wallace Stegner
Ava's Man -- Rick Bragg
Follow the River -- James Alexander Thorn
Great Expectations -- Charles Dickens
Pride & Prejudice -- Jane Austen (I've read and enjoyed)
Return to Modesty -- Wendy Schallit
The Secret Life of Bees -- Sue Monk Kidd
The Six Wives of Henry the VIII -- Allison Weir
The Princess Bride *
Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency -- Alexander McCall Smith (a series)
Mark of the Lion -- Francine Rivers (a series)
Harry Potter Series
The Lightning Thief -- Rick Riordan
The Sea of Monsters -- Rick Riordan
The Titan's Curse -- Rick Riordan
I, Claudius
Aragon -- Christopher Paolini (I've read this and liked it a lot, don't base an opinion of it on the movie, which really stunk)
Eldest -- Christopher Paolini (same as above notation)
The Birth Order
Clearing Your Clutter with Fung Shui
The Shell Seekers -- Rosamunde Pilcher
Mitford Series -- Jan Karon
Les Miserables -- Victor Hugo
The Count of Monte Cristo
The Scarlett Pimpernel
anything by Nicholas Sparks
anything by C.S. Lewis
anything my Mary Higgins Clark (I've read some and enjoyed them)

The titles with * have been recommended by my brothers and I trust their judgment implicitly.





~What are your favorite books?
~Have you read any of the above, would you recommend it or not?
~Which authors do you enjoy reading?
~What are you reading currently?
I'm open to all genres of literature, so if you have a suggestion send it my way. Sorry I don't cite all of the authors, some suggestions came my way without any name.

3 comments:

Becky said...

The Goose Girl (and all other books by Shannon Hale) and the Artemis Fowl series are great! If you don' want sex scenes then forget about the recommendation to read Nicholas Sparks books. I absolutely loved These Is My Words and the sequel (Sarah's Quilt) but only read them if you like intense, realistic drama (not always happy but I thought it was uplifting nonetheless).

Other authors I love are Georgette Heyer and the Mrs. Pollifax series by Dorothy Gilman. Good luck and enjoy!

Amberly said...

What a list! I have read and enjoyed both Cold Sassy Tree and This is my words, and have both if you'd like to borrow! Thanks for sharing your suggestions, you're welcome to come book browsing at my house anytime!

Kendra@My Insanity said...

As I've thought about this list, I realized I have more to share on this subject than I thought.

First of all, you read P&P by Jane Austen, but have you read any of her other books. I think I have read and enjoyed them all! Some are a little slow at the beginning, but always get to you. I highly recommend "Emma" and "Persuasion".

I also like Louisa May Alcott. "Little Women" & "An Old Fashioned Girl"

I have read two Nicholas Sparks books that were quite clean, "The Wedding" and "Three Weeks with my Brother"

C.S. Lewis is always good. I found "The Screwtape Letters" to be very enlightening.

Have you read "The Great and the Terrible" series we started in book club? I don't know if I loved the first book because we know so little about the pre-existence, but the other are riveting and frighteningly realistic. Barry loves these, and I bet Adam would, too.

Non-fiction, I have been reading "The Optomistic Child" and find it interesting.

I may have to add some more to the list, later. I think I am going to have to see what all the fuss is about and read the "Twilight" series. (And eventually, I'll get around to Harry Potter.)

Oh, FYI, although I LOVE the musical, "Wicked," I do not recommend the book it is based on. It's kind of rambling and includes a lot of unnecessary sex, etc.

Thanks for posting your list. It will be nice to reference.

Kendra