Friday, October 19, 2012

Joy

I've been reflecting on how many times in my life I've felt real joy.  We are taught in 2 Nephi 2:35 that we are meant to have joy in our life.  I have also been personally promised that I will have joy in my children.  In the pre-earth life the hosts of heaven shouted for joy at the decision to come to earth and use our agency.  I am generally a happy person, but I believe that joy is greater than a general happiness. 
The most recent moment that I remember actually shouting for joy was when I found out that my brother was a match to donate a kidney to my dad who was on the waiting list for a transplant.  The feeling of peace to not have to worry about my dad's health, the love I felt for my brother for his sacrifice, and the overwhelming sense of gratitude to my Heavenly Father for His mercy toward our family overcame me and I literally shouted for joy.
Other times in (relatively) recent memory of true shouts of joy are the days I found out I was pregnant with each of my children.  Again the relief, peace and gratitude all mixed together ended with a shout for joy.
I recently attended the baptism of one of the boys in our Ward Primary.  I am not related to him but I know him and am friends with his parents.  When he was baptised you could feel in the room a collective, silent, shout of joy. 
At the marriage ceremony of my brother-in-law and his wife, in the celestial room, you could, again, feel the collective, silent shout of joy.
What do all of these experiences have in common?  The feeling of the Spirit of God, prompting gratitude to Him for His great blessings.  I learn in Galatians 5:22 that the fruit, or products, of the influence of the Holy Ghost are love, joy, peace...and faith.
It is a personal goal of mine to make more time in my life to feel the influence of the Holy Ghost and focus on remembering those moments of true joy.

When was the last time you felt the need to shout for joy?

1 comment:

The last Unicorn said...

love this! When my brother was declared cancer free it was like everyone here and beyond the veil rejoiced. There was so much love and support felt during his fight that when the news came there were so many people cheering for joy. That and my boys births of course.